Thursday, June 08, 2006

Hindi 101

I lost my Indian drivers' license years ago, amongst other semi-important documents that I figured would resurface when I needed them. After much searching, I conceded that it was, indeed, missing; lost due to my carelessness. Several years ago, I used to drive around Madras and Delhi, fearlessly overtaking lorries and veering around stray cows and jay-walkers on narrow, busy roads. Now, after not driving for several years, I feel incapacitated.

My father and driver in tow, I began the long-winded process of getting a learner permit. Obtaining the form, a doctor's sign-off, photographs, and several notarizations later, I was waiting in the concrete courtyard of the RTO complex, enveloped in heat amongst men who chatted away in the seemingly chaotic environment. After half an hour of waiting, I was summoned.

I entered the room, crowded with zealous test-takers, ready to pass the test in a breeze. I received the form, and to my surprise, it was completely in Hindi. That too, in a language that I don't use regularly. In Chennai, the forms are in English. I didn't know what left and right is in Hindi - after all, doesn't everyone use the English words? After asking for a clarification, the official began laughing about my anglified ways. Shameful, no doubt, but could I not have the form in English, please? After all, India is a country with over 200 languages - having a form in English is only fair to non-natives. Behind me, a local boy asked me what left and right in Hindi are - he didn't know! I stared in confusion, reading the questions and subsequent multiple-choiced answers, deciphering the possible meanings.

I looked closer, and it appeared that the answers in the multiple-choice test form were already ticked. And they looked correct. Yes!! The attendant had inadvertently helped me. The inefficiencies in the system were helping me out. One question had a sign about parking, and when I looked at the board with signs, that particular one had a bullock cart with a cross through it. What?? Sweat trickled down my back. After much consideration, I asked the gruff official what this could mean - he said that the question was wrong and clearly marked out. It was a brownie point. In the end, I proudly handed over my test paper to the official, passing the questions over to the attendant - he smiled and put the paper away. 10 out of 16 - I can drive, once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home